Musical education and performance as a component of the practical work of the Galician priesthood of the end and the beginning of the XIX-XX centuries
The article reveals the role of the Galician priesthood in the music-performing and educational processes of the 19th-20th centuries. Three general directions of multifaceted musical and artistic activity of pastors are distinguished. Provision of the Liturgical needs of the parish includes the organization of church choirs and their education, the provision of appropriate to their stuff and potential of the performing repertoire, music-pedagogical activity in the fraternal school of the Stavropigian Institute, spiritual and teacher's seminary, cantors` courses, making collections, creating textbooks for mastering church singing.
The second direction is work with young people as a future generation of active parishioners (teaching music in public schools and high schools, preparing children and young people to participation in Divine Services, forming school singerbooks, textbooks on music-theoretical disciplines).
The most socially significant vector of priestly work was the formation of a conscious national identity of the community through the organization of secular choirs, symphonic and brass orchestras, concert and touring activities, providing repertoire for performing groups and Ukrainian theaters, musical publishing, historiographic studies, editing of music magazines.
Being the leaders of the Ukrainian community in terms of professional musical training, the representatives of the Galician priesthood, through music-performing and music-educational activities, realized the task of unification around the national idea (often identical to denominational affiliation) that were relevant for the society.
2. Vy`tvy`cz`ky`j, V. (1996). Ukrayins`ky`j muzy`chny`j L`viv [Ukrainian Music Lviv]. Za okeanom: Zbirny`k statej / Red. Yu. Yasinovs`ky`j. L. S. 9-15.
3. Galij, M. (2017). Nestor Gorny`cz`ky`j. Spogady` [Nestor Gornitsky. Memoris]. L`viv: Liga-Press.
4. Zagajkevy`ch, M. (1998). My`xajlo Verby`cz`ky`j: storinky` zhy`ttya i tvorchosti [Mikhail Verbitsky: pages of life and creativity]. L`viv : Misioner.
5. Ky`yanovs`ka, L. (2011). Evolyucijni procesy` v duxovnij xorovij tvorchosti l`vivs`ky`x kompozy`toriv suchasnosti [Evolutionary processes in the spiritual choir of Lviv composers of the present]. Molod` i ry`nok. № 10. S. 16-20.
6. Kudry`k, B. (1995). Oglyad istoriyi ukrayins`koyi cerkovnoyi muzy`ky`[An overview of the history of Ukrainian church music]. L`viv.
7. Kushly`k, N. (2006). Predstavny`ky` greko-katoly`cz`kogo duxovenstva v nacional`no-kul`turnomu vidrodzhenni Galy`chy`ny` XIX – poch. XX st. (istory`ko-kul`turologichny`j aspekt) [Representatives of the Greek Catholic clergy in the national and cultural revival of Galicia in the 19th century - beginning. Twentieth century. (historical and cultural aspect).]. Visny`k Pry`karpats`kogo universy`tetu. My`stecztvoznavstvo. Ivano-Frankivs`k: Plaj. IX. S. 39-48.
8. Ly`s`ko, Z. (1994). Pionery` muzy`chnogo my`stecztva v Galy`chy`ni [Pioneers of Musical Art in Galicia]. L`viv-N`yu-Jork.
9. Marty`niv, L. I. (2019). Etapy` profesionalizaciyi muzy`chnogo zhy`ttya Drogoby`chchy`ny` [Stages of professionalization of musical life of Drohobych region]: dy`sert. na zdob. nauk. stup. kandy`data. 17.00.03 L`viv.
10. Cherevko, K. (2014). Duxovno-xorova tvorchist` kompozy`toriv-svyashheny`kiv Zaxidnoyi Ukrayiny` drugoyi polovy`ny` XIX – pochatku XX stolit` [Spiritual Choir Creativity of the Composers-Priests of Western Ukraine in the Second Half of the Nineteenth - Early Twentieth Centuries]. Naukovi zbirky` L`vivs`koyi nacional`noyi muzy`chnoyi akademiyi im. M. V. Ly`senka. 32. S. 152-163.
11. Yasinovs`ky`j, Yu. (2016). Otecz` Porfy`rij Bazhans`ky`j yak doslidny`k cerkovnoyi muzy`ky` (u 180-tu richny`cyu vid dnya narodzhennya) [Father Porfiry Bazhansky as a church music researcher (on the 180th anniversary of his birth).]. Kalofoniya: Naukovy`j zbirny`k z istoriyi cerkovnoyi monodiyi ta gy`mnografiyi. 8. S. 213-229.